With thanks to guest blogger Scott Podmore
Roll your finger up and down a map of Australia’s east coast above Brisbane and star attractions include the Sunshine Coast, the Whitsundays, Bundaberg and Cairns. It’s all about sunshine, beach and some amazing aquatic activities for anyone on a road trip.
Even beautiful Fraser Island trumps its mainland brothers for luring visitors, while Hervey Bay, right opposite the World Heritage-listed sand island, often slips under the radar.
But the truth is, Hervey Bay holds the aces as far as being an ideal destination for visitors on the road, especially families. With a fully fuelled Brisbane campervan rental snapped up for no more than $70 a day through DriveNow , I set off north on a three-hour road trip with the family aboard, and 290km later along the Bruce Highway we arrived.
After spending time at this wonderful location, I have five great reasons why you should explore Hervey Bay:
- Check out the mighty Humpback whales. Each year thousands of humpbacks migrate 5000km to the eastern coast of Australia and Hervey Bay’s protected waters means it’s like a holiday hotspot for the “Humpies” each year from mid June to November as they stop off and socialize. Get there in August for the muggings, it’s breathtaking! Try http://www.tasmanventure.com.au for a cool whale watching tour.
- The food. Hervey Bay may be regional but it’s dishing up a melting pot of great eating options that rival those of the bigger capital cities. Try Café Balaena on the Marina for super brekkies and lunches, while Coast is a standout for fine dining and Thai Yum Yum in Bideford St is, ahem, yum yum on the takeaway front.
- Jump on a camel. Fraser Coast Camel Safaris provide an awesome way to explore the beach and learn a little about Hervey Bay while hanging with your new furry friends including Elvis, Jimmy, Gobe, and Karbull. Book the tour here.
- Wetside Water Education Park is an absolute blast if you’re keen to entertain the kids!
- Speaking of water, you can’t stay in Hervey Bay and not visit Aquavue Café Watersports – for the café and also to jump in a jetboat or hire a jetski or kayak.
If you’re visiting Hervey Bay, be sure to book your accommodation at BIG4 Point Vernon Holiday Park.
Thanks to Scott Podmore for sharing part of his family’s trip with us. Find more information on great Australian campervan rentals at www.drivenow.com.au/